I love banana cake; there are so many variations on the classic recipe and so many things you can add to the mix to spice it up a little. The banana bread recipe I’m sharing today is the perfect way to use up those overly ripe bananas at the bottom of the fruit bowl. The banana cake recipe is a firm family favourite and goes down a treat with both family and friends. It’s my most popular ‘left over banana’ recipe that’s always being requested, and it’s perfect for any form of social gathering.
Banana Cake Recipe
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 mashed bananas (or 2 if the bananas are large)
- Large handful of sultanas
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and flour bit by bit and mix well.
- Mash your bananas and add them to the mixture, slowly folding them in.
- Slowly stir in the sultanas.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and pour the mixture in.
- Place in the middle shelf of the oven.
Mix It Up
As mentioned before, this recipe can be adapted to your liking. If you’re not a fan of sultanas, or you fancy something different, why not try a few other variations. For example:
- Chocolate (especially nice with white chocolate!)
- Chopped nuts – how about walnuts?
- Other fruit/veg – chopped apples or grated carrot are also a lovely addition to the bananas
Or why not whip up some delicious cream cheese frosting to top the banana cake with?
Whatever you choose, let me know what you think in the comments and enjoy!