I can’t wait for my wedding in November! It’s getting closer and closer, and now we’re in the 70s in terms of the number of days left to go. We are so lucky that we’ve managed to keep our original date as we booked everything a couple of years in advance, it also meant we had plenty of time to make those all important decisions.
Planning a wedding is way harder than I expected.
That’s just as well, because it turns out that planning a wedding is hard work! I mean, I know everyone says that it’s stressful, but I just wasn’t quite prepared for how anxiety inducing the whole thing would be. Being in charge of making every single decision…over everything…it’s bonkers. It’s not just about who’s invited (or who isn’t), but where they sit, what colour scheme we’re going to have, how name cards look, what about centre pieces? The list is endless.
‘Your’ song might not always be ‘the’ song.
One of the biggest moments of any wedding is, of course, the first dance. I always thought when I got married that our first dance song would just obviously be ‘our’ song. You know, the song that you, as a couple, have related to the most during your relationship. It would be something romantic, maybe a bit cheesy, and definitely something that two people could easily dance to in front of all their friends and family.
However, it turns out that using that song might not always be entirely appropriate. I can vouch for this first hand because mine and my future husband’s song is by LL Cool J. It’s definitely not wedding friendly, or romantic, or something that anyone could ever dance to.
Choosing the first dance song is an important part of wedding planning.
This meant that we had to actively think about first dance wedding songs that we felt represented us as a couple, our personalities, and the way that we feel about each other. Honestly, it was difficult. As with everything wedding related, it’s sometimes hard to find something that both you and your future spouse can agree on – the first dance song was no exception for us.
It took us a fair while to come up with a song that we both agreed on. In the end, we looked at our own music playlists to help us find the perfect song. As it happens, we’re both into a similar genre of music, so after a while of surfing Spotify, we were able to find something that we really felt spoke to both of us and was a genre that people would associate with us. In the end, we were able to narrow it all down and find the perfect song for us, by one of our favourite bands, and I just know that when people hear it, they’ll agree with our first dance song choice.
Need help choosing your first dance song?
In this blog post, I thought I’d list a few first dance song ideas to help get your search for the perfect song started. I think it’s important to remember that the song you choose for your first dance should be relevant to you – it should speak to you and stir up those romantic feelings inside that you have for your partner. When you find the perfect song, you’ll instantly know it, so don’t feel disheartened if you’re yet to find the right one.
Romantic First Dance Songs
- All Of Me – John Legend
- Your Song – Elton John
- Perfect – Ed Sheeran
- Sparks – Coldplay
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
- Marry You – Bruno Mars
- A Moment Like This – Kelly Clarkson
- Marry Me – Train
- Can’t Take My Eyes Off You – Frankie Valli
- She’s The One – Robbie Will
- XO – John Mayer
- Halo – Beyonce
- All About You – McFLY
- How Long Will I Love You – Ellie Goulding
- Skinny Love – Bon Iver
- Songbird – Fleetwood Mac
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Make You Feel My Love – Adele
Alternative First Dance Songs
- First Day Of My Life – Bright Eyes
- Still Into You – Paramore
- I Don’t Wanna Miss A Things – Aerosmith
- Kiss Me – Sixpence None The Richer / New Found Glory
- Feeling Good – Muse
- Everlong – Foo Fighters
- Follow You Into The Dark – Death Cab For Cutie
- Everywhere – Fleetwood Mac
- Lovesong – The Cure
- Love They Say – Tegan and Sara
- I’m With You – Avril Lavigne
- R U Mine? – Arctic Monkeys
- Life Is A Highway – Rascal Flatts
- Make ‘Em Like You – Tom Grennan
- Friday I’m In Love – The Cure
- Fell In Love With A Girl – The White Stripes
Fun First Dance Songs
- You’re The One That I Want – Grease Soundtrack
- Isn’t She Lovely? – Stevie Wonder
- Accidentally In Love – Counting Crows
- Happy – Pharrell Williams
- Are You Gonna Be My Girl? – Jet
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye
- Build Me Up Buttercup – The Foundations
- Sexbomb – Tom Jones
- Better Together – Jack Jonhson
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- Adore You – Harry Styles
- I Believe In A Thing Called Love – The Darkness
- You Sexy Thing – Hot Chocolate
- She’s So Lovely – Scouting For Girls
- You’ve Got The Love – Florence + The Machine
- Dancing In The Moonlight – Toploader
- Dance With Me Tonight – Olly Murs
Hopefully this blog post has given you some great ideas for planning your first dance song. If you’re married, or planning a wedding, I’d love to know your choice of first dance song! Please let me know in the comments.