Have you got a dinosaur obsessed soon-to-be birthday boy/girl? If so, are you looking for tips on how to throw the best dinosaur themed kids birthday party around? This blog post is BURSTING with ROAR-SOME dinosaur party ideas to help and inspire you.
We’ve even included some affiliate links to the best products around that will help you to get the greatest dinosaur party decor on the market, without all the hassle of trolling the internet for quality items!
Planning a children’s birthday party can seem daunting at first, but don’t worry – it’s really not as bad as it may appear! We’ve broken down all the party aspects into easy to digest sections so you’ll never feel lost or overwhelmed when party planning. Feel free to save and bookmark this page, or Pin the below image for later so that you can easily find this guide again.
Have you been invited to a dinosaur party?
If you’re here because you’ve been invited to a dinosaur themed children’s party and you’re looking for gift and card inspiration, why not take a look at some of these wonderful pop up birthday cards from Love Pop?
Now…if you’re ready to learn how to throw the best dinosaur themed kids birthday party around, let’s get started!
Dinosaur Themed Birthday Party Invitations
The first step to planning any party is, of course, the invitations! There’s no party without all of your dino friends, after all. Etsy is always my go-to for party invitations. I could make my own using Canva or Microsoft Word, but with so much else to plan and get on with when throwing a children’s birthday party, I just don’t have the time, nor the inclination.
I’d much rather hop over to Etsy and find some beautiful dinosaur themed birthday party invitations that look professional and fit the dinosaur theme perfectly. The joy of purchasing your invitations via Etsy is that you can also choose to personalise your templates and have them sent to you, or find someone offering them as a digital download. Either way, you don’t have to spend hours writing out names and signing invitations on behalf of your child!
Here are a few of my favourite dinosaur themed birthday invitations from Etsy:
- Personalised Dinosaur Birthday Invites by LoveFloraStudio
- Editable Instant Download Dinosaur Birthday Invites by PaperAndInkDesignCo
- Pack Of 10 Personalised Dinosaur Invites by DoodleDaisy
- Joint Birthday – Dinosaur & Unicorn Invites by PrintsMadeWithLOVE
- Three-Rex Rawr Birthday Invites (Digital Download) by JessieAndJabberwock
- Personalised Dinosaur Birthday Invites by HBHandmadeBoutique
Next up, it’s time to start thinking about decorations! Now it’s not just your party venue that could benefit from a few dinosaur-inspired decorations – you could go a step further and plan the ultimate birthday surprise: a bedroom makeover! Imagine the joy on your child’s face when they wake up to find their room has been turned into an amazing Jurrasic jungle overnight! Simply hang up some banners, balloons, and dinosaur garlands to create an exciting and memorable surprise.
Alternatively, if you want to go big, how about gifting them the opportunity to help create the dream dinosaur themed bedroom, complete with dino decor, wallpaper, and bedding?
This dinosaur birthday party pack contains 1 Happy Birthday banner, 10 balloons, and 2 large aluminium balloons – all for only £8.99 (as of July ‘22)
Where are you hosting your child’s dinosaur themed birthday party?
Before you go too deep down the dino-infested rabbit hole, you need to first think about where you’re hosting the party. If you’re planning on renting out a community centre or hall, first ensure they have the availability for you and you guests and, ideally, secure your booking as soon as possible. Also, it’s a good idea to make sure that they’re okay with you taping decorations to the floors/walls/ceiling. If you’re choosing to host your child’s dinosaur themed birthday party at home, consider where would be the best place to put decorations up. Most parents set up all the party decor in the kitchen/dining room area so that there’s plenty of space and no one spills food and drink on the lovely new sofa.
Here are some great dinosaur themed party decorations to get you started:
- Dinosaur Plates, Napkins & Table Cover
- Happy Birthday Banner + Dinosaur Balloon Arch. Includes Dinosaur Balloons, Palm Leaves, Masks, Dinosaur Cake Toppers & Dino Foot Prints.
- 24PCS Watercolour Dinosaur Hanging Swirls
- 12 PCS Dinosaur Party Honeycomb Centerpieces
- 35 Ft Colourful Dinosaur Garland Party
- Dinosaur Party Light Projector
Roar-some Food & Drink
One of the most exciting parts of themed parties is, of course, themed food! There are SO many cool options for dinosaur themed food and drink that both kids and adults will love.
Here are a few of my favourite finds from the internet. I’ve linked to the websites that detail how to create and design the party food, so you can try them out yourself:
- Dinosaur Fruit Skewers with Yoghurt Dip from findingzest.com
- Dinosaur Claws & lots of other dinosaur themed party foods from theeverydayevents.blogspot.com
- DIY Dino Footprint Cookies from pagingfunmums.com
- Dinosaur Pasta
- Jurassic Amber Treats
- T-Rex Sandwiches
Jurassic Jungle Dress Up (Optional, but fun!)
While not mandatory, dressing up is definitely a fun way to make sure everyone gets into the party mood – check out this adorable Dinosaur Costume for kids aged 4 – 6 years old. Dressing up isn’t just limited to the children either! Adults can let down their hair and have some fun with their children by bringing their A-game when it comes to costume design. If going all out doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, you can’t go wrong with a bit of face paint or a dinosaur themed t-shirt (my husband has this shirt and literally wears it all the time!).
A super fun way to encourage children to dress up when attending your child’s dinosaur themed birthday party is to host a “Best Dressed” competition. Your birthday boy/girl can be the judge (along with parents/other impartial family members) and the winner will receive a small prize or medal – dino themed, of course!
If competitions aren’t your thing, you can always make sure that everyone feels included and happy by gifting your party guests some cute dinosaur masks. Don’t forget that no party is complete without party hats – these dinosaur party hats are easy to make yourself and will be a real hit with the children.
Entertainment fit for a Dinosaurus King/Queen
Kids are usually pretty good at entertaining themselves, but having a little structure to your child’s dinosaur birthday party will make sure everyone has lots of fun, and every child gets a chance to be seen and heard. There are lots of party games that work universally well with all children’s themed parties, such as:
- Pass The Parcel
- Musical Statues
- Simon Says
- Treasure Hunts
- Duck, Duck, Goose
- Pin The Tail On The Donkey (Dinosaur!)
You could also spice things up by getting crafty if you wanted to, allowing each child to take home their own mini creation. Kids could try painting their own dinosaurs or cutting out dinosaurs from paper, colouring them in and creating miniature dinosaur puppets. Anything messy and involving glitter (though we do prefer biodegradable glitter) is usually a winner!
Delicious Dino Cakes – Where to get a cake & how to decorate it.
No birthday party (especially a child’s party) is complete without CAKE! To find the right cake for you and your birthday boy or girl, you need to first ascertain how many people are going to be attending the party and eating the delicious dino cake. Once you’ve got the numbers, you can go one of two ways: make the cake, or buy the cake.
Homemade Cake vs Buying A Cake
Personally, if I were having a small family gathering, I’d prefer to make the cake myself. I’d use a cool dinosaur cake mould and maybe purchase some cute edible or clay dinosaur toppers. There are plenty of amazing homemade dinosaur cakes out there to look at for inspiration!
Here are a few of my favourite cakes that have been made at home for children’s parties:
- Chocolate Chips Ahoy Dinosaur Cake by Buttlerlustblog.com
- Easy Triceratops Cake by theexploringfamily.com
- Dinosaur Fossil Excavation Cake by family-friends-food.com
- Dinosaur Birthday Cake Recipe
Don’t forget to take dietary needs into consideration when providing a cake. Make sure you check in with all the carers of the children attending and gather information on any allergies or dietary rules that their parents may have in place. For example, some children may be sugar-free and therefore you might wish to provide some yummy no added sugar muffins as an alternative to a traditional cake.
If you’re planning to throw a big dinosaur themed party for your child, you may want to save time and stress by purchasing a cake instead. There are a few options to choose from. You can either head to supermarkets like ASDA, ALDI, Sainsburys, and Tescos. These stores all sell birthday cakes in a variety of shapes, sizes, and themes. Costco have an amazing deal on celebration cakes (and having recently had one at a family party, I can 100% recommend these – they’re so tasty!). You can pick up an iced cake with any customisation you want, all for £14.99. They even have premade designs too, including a dinosaur design.
Alternatively, if you’re feeling extra fancy and want to really go all-out for this birthday party, you could seek a professional cake maker to make your mini dinosaur’s dreams come true.
Don’t forget the cake toppers.
Is a birthday cake complete without a cake topper and candles? I’ll let you decide one that one (hint: the answer is no!). There are a couple of different options to go for when it comes to cake toppers, but I personally love customisable acrylic dinosaur cake toppers.
There are a few different options and styles, depending on what you’re looking for. If you’re planning on having a Jurassic World themed party for your child, this Dino Park personalised cake topper would make the ideal finishing touch to your cake. For something more generic, you may want to use the customisable dinosaur glitter cake topper or the ultra cool Schleich Dinosaur Wearing A Hat topper.
Make wonderful family memories and keepsakes with some personalised presents.
There are tonnes of dinosaur themed gifts out there that are great for dinosaur addicts. From puzzles to robot dinosaurs, you’re bound to find the perfect gift for your child. For those who want to savour the moment for a little longer though, have you considered keepsake gifts? These don’t necessarily have to be something boring that your child takes one look at and shrugs with indifference – there are plenty of fun and exciting personalised gifts available that your children will absolutely adore. And best of all? You get to keep them as keepsakes!
Take a look at some of our favourite personalised dinosaur gifts for kids:
- Personalised Dinosaur Cuddly Toy (with different dinos) from HappyDazePrintShop
- Wooden Dinosaur Name Puzzle from ChildUniverse
- Personalised Engraved Dinosaur Cutlery from BenAndHarveyGifts
- Personalised Ceramic Dinosaur Money Box from TrudlesDoodles
- Personalised Dinosaur Book Pocket Cushion from PreciousPersonalise
- Portable Dinosaur Hug Keepsake from YewCraftyThing
And don’t forget about the Party Bags…
And finally, have you even been to a child’s birthday party if you haven’t left with a goody bag? Goody bags are the kid’s equivalent of wedding favours. You want to thank everyone for coming along and sharing this special day with you all.
Homemade Party Bags
A lot of parents choose to make up the goody bags themselves. It’s simple enough to do, after all. All you need in order to create your own thank you / goody bags is a dinosaur themed party bag (this one says thanks for partying like a dinosaur, which I love! It’s also downloadable) and some fillers. Here are some easy party bag fillers:
- Packets of sweets, such as Haribo
- Small bubble mixture bottles
- Sticker sheets
- Small toys, such as plastic mazes
- A balloon for children to blow up at home
Unique Party Bags
If you want to truly make this a party that no one forgets, you can also pick up amazing stuffed goody bags that are already packed with fun and exciting things for children! I’ve scoured the internet so that you don’t have to, and I have found some of the coolest, more roar-some dinosaur themed goody bags around. Take a look!
- Grow Your Own Dinosaur Jungle Party Bag For Kids
- Eco Conscious Pre-Filled Dinosaur Party Bags
- Paint Your Own Mini Dinosaurs At Home Party Bags
- 12 x Prefilled Dinosaur Party Boxes
- Prefilled Dinosaur Party Bags (inc puzzles, bubbles, stickers, tattoos & loads more)
- Plastic Free Baking Activity Goody Bag
Extra Tips For Ensuring Your Child’s Birthday Party Runs Smoothly
Hosting a party for children is a lot of responsibility, and it can be an anxious time for the host parents. Being responsible for other people’s children seems daunting, however here are a few tips that will help to give you peace of mind.
- Make sure you close the doors or put up signs on all areas that you don’t want children to enter, for example, your bedrooms.
- Ensure all children know where the bathroom is.
- Not all parents are happy to drop their children at the party & pick them up later. It’s a good idea to stock up on adult foods & drinks too, as well as having somewhere for parents to sit and chat.
- On that note, it’s a good idea to check with the parents that you have invited to see if they’re staying or bringing any additional children/family members.
- Make sure you set yourself a budget when planning any form of party. It’s easy to go over the top!
- Parties can be hard work, so make sure you’ve got help. Ask some friends to help keep an eye on the children and ensure everything is as it should be.
- For more dinosaur themed party inspo, check out this blog post from wemadethislife.com
PIN FOR LATER: