Confession time: I spend way too much money over a monthly period on cheese. That’s with us even buying cheap own brand cheese from places like ASDA and Lidl.
With Baby Number 2 on the way, it’s time to not only start saving money on our food bills where possible, but it’s also time to cut out some slightly unhealthy habits. As the resident veggie, I tend to be the cheese fiend in the house. I desperately needed some inspiration for cheese free vegetarian sandwich fillers that were still cheap, healthy and exciting.
I took to Facebook to ask some fellow bloggers what their favourite vegetarian sandwich fillers were…the ones that didn’t contain the dreaded cheddar!
47 Cheese Free Vegetarian Sandwich Fillers
I’m really quite surprised by some of the suggestions. There are some combinations that I would never have thought to put together…but you guys seem to swear by them!
Peanut Butter Based Vegetarian Sandwich Fillers
- Peanut butter and sliced orange. So so good! (Better on toast, but just as tasty in a sandwich). babyfoote.com
- Peanut butter and banana is my favourite ever staceyinthesticks.com
- Peanut butter and jam.
- Peanut butter, pear and cream cheese.
- Peanut butter, cucumber and lettuce. It’s been my favourites sandwich for years and years, my local health food shop used to sell them and they were so good! HodgePodgeDays.co.uk
- Plain old peanut butter.
- Peanut butter & cucumber – my all time fave! And if you can’t have nuts use Wow butter – it’s made from soya & totally nut free!crummymummy.co.uk
- Peanut butter with grated carrot, raisins and cinnamon.
- Peanut butter and marmalade or peanut butter and cheese. Both wonderful! Devonmama.com
Refreshing Salad Based Vegetarian Sandwich Fillers
- Diced tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil drizzled on toast with salt and pepper.
- Roast brinjal, chilli and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Peas, iceberg lettuce and mayo.
- Avocado, mustard and mango chutney.
- Cream cheese and diced red pepper.
- Egg and tomato
- Grated carrot and hummus is amazing! Egg mayo with a pinch or two of ground cumin and a squirt of mayo. Beetroot and coleslaw is good too.
- Avocado spinach mozzarella pesto and roasted pepper (jar kind) nice toasted!! twoheartsoneroof.com
- Cream cheese and cucumber is yummy and thrifty! thriftymum.com
- Blend mixed beans and peppers with fromage frais for a pate style.
- Hummus and peppers.
- Egg mayo and cress.
- Peas with tomato ketchup – cannot beat it kateonthinice.com
- Appleslaw is cheap, healthy and yummy! Mix grated apple and mayo with either red onion or spring onion and spread it in your sandwich. Yum! autumnsmummyblog.com
- Falafel and hummus
- Cucumber and salad cream
- Cream cheese and cucumber
- Tzatziki and beetroot
- You can’t beat egg mayo in my book. Needs to have very finely diced onion in to reach perfection though! pinkpearbear.com
- Babaganoush and salad wrap
- I love a beetroot sandwich. Or beetroot with pease pudding.nomipalony.com
- Mashed avocado mixed with finely chopped red onion, crumbled feta (optional) and a squeeze of lime! Buzymum.com
- I love roasted peppers, mushroom and goats cheese or caramelised onions in a sandwhich! autismkidsontour.com
Sweet Vegetarian Sandwich Fillers
- Nutella / chocolate spread
- Banana sandwiches. Comfort food does not get any better than a lovely sweet banana sandwich! Filling too. ridingbootsforboo.com
- Definitely not an everyday sandwich but banana and Nutella is pretty lush! Especially on a bagel. mommyandrory.com
- Cashew nut butter and banana. abeautifulspace.co.uk
- Strawberries, basil and balsamic vinegar on brioches for a sweeter sandwich. libertyonthelighterside.com
- Have you seen the ‘tuna mayo’ made of chickpeas? Meant to be amazing in a sandwich! Dilanandme.com
- Hasn’t anyone said Marmite yet? You heathens! Just Marmite and butter on white bread.
- My favourite sandwich (especially when the fridge is empty) is a ketchup sandwich. My boyfriend’s dad recommends adding salad cream too but I haven’t tried this yet.
How has no one mentioned the timeless classics jam sandwich or crisp sandwich? Am I just too northern for my own good?!mummysavermoneymaker.co.uk
Chip butty! The good ol’ carbohydrate only snack. Splash a bit of ketchup and you’re ready to take on the world! Right after a nap though from all those carbs rawchildhood.co.uk
Vegetarian/vegan sausages with brown/red sauce and lettuce.
- Heinz sandwich spread