Warning: Parameter 2 to wp_hide_post_Public::query_posts_join() expected to be a reference, value given in /var/sites/l/lukeosaurusandme.co.uk/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 288
Autumn is on the way! I can almost taste the apple pies and smell the pumpkin spiced lattes. I am thrilled by this as autumn is, and always has been, my favourite season.
Autumn is the season when slightly frumpy mums like myself can don all the layers and ankle boots, releasing our inner autumnal goddesses. It’s the season where it’s totally okay to eat all the pies. It’s the season where everyone wants to get outside and enjoy the sharp frosty air and stomp in the crispy leaves. Autumn is just the greatest.
It stands to reason, therefore, that in order to make the most of the season and get everything that we want to do done, we need to put together a Family Autumn Bucket List.
I thought I’d share the list with you lovely lot, in the hopes that it may inspire you to do some of the things that you sometimes might find yourself putting off for whatever reason. Every parent has that one family activity they find it difficult to find enthusiasm for.
For us, that’s getting outside as much as we should. Since Oscar came along, we’ve found it harder to get outside and explore because of all the additional faff that comes with having a baby. But, you know what? I was listening to Dress Like A Mum on the Scummy Mummies podcast recently and she said that, yes, it does take a lot longer to get out of the door, but they blooming well do it anyway! That made me think about how we approach the great outdoors and made me that little bit more determined to make sure we all make it outside more this autumn.
So weather your nemesis is baking, crafting, finding local events or getting to become one with nature, you’ll find them all on this list and hopefully, you will find a bit of extra motivation to spend some wonderful quality time with your family and tick them off the list. You never know, you might even enjoy it more than you think you will!
30 Things To Do In Autumn With Kids
- Make our own chocolate apples
- Pick our pumpkins. (We usually do this at the Blackmoor Apple Estate in Surrey)
- Having a ‘scary’ movie day.
- Explore our local woodlands a bit more.
- Pick out some autumnal scented candles.
- Bake Halloween biscuits.
- Watch the fireworks.
- Make an autumn nature collage.
- Go on an autumn bike ride with plenty of hot chocolate stops.
- Make some pinecone bird feeders.
- Make chocolate mug cakes.
- Forage for the last of the blackberries.
- Make blackberry and apple crumble.
- Jump in piles of crispy leaves.
- Make Rice Krispie treats.
- Carve pumpkins.
- Make pumpkin soup.
- Make roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Go on a hilly hike and watch the sunset from the top.
- Make apple pie.
- Craft our own halloween decorations and halloween party games.
- Collect conkers and play with them.
- Make a big pot of warming chai tea.
- Bake a spicy chai cake.
- Have a family games night.
- Visit a farm.
- Go to a farmers market.
- Go on a nature scavenger hunt.
- Craft an autumn wreath for the front door.
- Toast marshmallows over a fire.
Looking back at the list it certainly looks like there’s lots of baking involved. But how can you resist when the food you get in autumn is just so tasty?! I’m looking forward to doing a lot of baking with the kids, getting quite messy and muddy from our walks and bike rides and sipping on a lot of hearty hot drinks.
Let me know what you’re up to over the next few months. Have you got anything planned with the kids? Any go-to autumn activities? Share them with me in the comments or tweet me @gloryiscalling or tag me on Instagram!